Dear members and supporters of the Mighty 965,
As many of you know, Arkansas state Sen. Bob Ballinger, R-Berryville, and his House counterpart Rep. Frances Cavenaugh, R-Walnut Ridge, have submitted a bill that would largely dismantle the minimum-wage increase just passed by more than two-thirds of Arkansas voters.
Greg Leding says legislators in Little Rocks are hearing a lot of support for Ballinger’s bill from business interests but nothing but crickets from people who voted for the minimum wage act. We need to send emails or make phone calls — and encourage others to do the same. If there was ever a day to call for social justice, MLK Day is it.
Ballinger’s Senate Bill 115 erases the minimum-wage increase that two-thirds of Arkansans voted for in the November 2018 General Election for anyone under 18, as well as anyone employed at a school, preschool, college, nonprofit or business with fewer than 50 employees. Attorney David Couch, who wrote the minimum wage ballot initiative, estimates that the bill could steal increases in pay for as many as half of the state’s minimum-wage employees.
- Reportage: “Senator’s bill Would Partially Undo Arkansas’ Minimum-Wage Increase,” Jan. 17, 2019, Arkansas Democrat Gazette, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (subscription paywalls)
- Commentary: “This Is for Your Own Good,” John Brummett, Jan. 20, 2019, Arkansas Democrat Gazette, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (subscription paywalls)
Please contact your representatives, Democratic or Republican, as well as Senate Majority Leader Jim Hendren to let them you know support the minimum wage increase and oppose Republican efforts to undermine Arkansas voters and keep Arkansas workers in poverty.
Here’s contact information for Republicans and local Democrats who are defending the minimum wage. The Dems need to be able to say they’re hearing from supporters.
- Sen. Bob Ballinger, R-Hindsville: firstname.lastname@example.org 870-350-5175.
- Rep. Frances Cavenaugh, R-Walnut Ridge: email@example.com 870-886-4000.
- Sen. Jim Hendren, R-Gravette: firstname.lastname@example.org 479-787-6222
- Sen. Greg Leding, D-Fayetteville: email@example.com 479-966-9201
- Rep. Nicole Clowney, D-Fayetteville (Mighty 965 member!): firstname.lastname@example.org 479-445-5337.
- Rep. Denise Garner, D-Fayetteville: email@example.com 479.283.5050
— Bret Schulte, president, AFSCME Local 965