This page will update occasionally.
If we missed a story, please let us know details so we can add it.
A few reports may be inaccessible to some due to subscription paywalls etc.
If a web address here becomes broken, let us know about that, too.
The focus is labor-related info and analysis.
For the Common Good
UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965 collaborates with similar organizations and non-profits. Strength grows in these connections for the common good.
- “Labor Teach-In set for April 8 at Fayetteville Public Library,” Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, March 31, 2023, on an educational forum co-sponsored by Local 965 and the Northwest Arkansas Labor Council (alternate link)
Health and Safety
Since the beginning of the novel coronavirus 2019 pandemic, UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965 members have been advocating on behalf of the safety of all University of Arkansas workers.
- State Adds 8,434 Virus Cases, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Jan. 8, 2022, under “Precautions Urged,” Local 965 “renewed its call for university faculty and staff members to be able to work remotely” and for enforcement of face-masking policy (alternate link)
- Covid-19 Allowed as Housing Claim, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 7, 2020, reports freshmen concerned about the virus may be exempted from living on campus
- Union Airs Concerns over UA Reopening Plan, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 3, 2020, on Local 965’s critique of campus Covid-19 strategy
- Local Employee Group Questions Reopening Plan, University Responds, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, June 2, 2020; remarks by Local President Bret Schulte
- Staff Senators Reject Work Resolution, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, May 24, 2020; resolution introduced by Local Secretary Ben Pollock
- University of Arkansas Administrators Still Discussing Reopening Plan for Fall Semester, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, May 20, 2020; remarks by Local President Bret Schulte
- Faculty Supports ‘Choice’ on Classes – UA Group Votes on Fall Resolution, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, April 30, 2020; resolution introduced by Local President Bret Schulte
UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965’s highest priority before the pandemic was to convince the University of Arkansas to paying living wages — at least $30,000/year — to each member of the faculty and staff.
- UA Opts to Raise Teaching Stipends: Grad Students’ Target Not Met, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, May 5, 2021
- 550 UA Workers Receive Raises: Move Aids Classified Staffers Who Made Less than $30,000, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, July 22, 2020
- UA Plans to Seek State’s Consent on Pay Raises for 585 Employees, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, July 22, 2020
- Union Gets Commitment for Living Wage at University of Arkansas, NEA Today, July 17, 2020
- UA: Barnes & Noble to Manage Bookstore, Northwest Arkansas Demcrat-Gazette, Dec. 10, 2019
- UA Union Reports Its Affiliation to Change, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Nov. 24, 2019
- A Living Wage: UA Priorities on the Wrong Path, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Nov. 14, 2019 (opinion piece by Local Vice President Michael Pierce).
- UA Bookstore Pitches Irk Members of Union, Northwest Arkansas Demcrat-Gazette, Oct. 26, 2019
- A Living Wage: State Workers Deserve a Raise, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Feb. 4, 2019 (opinion pierce by Local Vice President Michael Pierce).
- Union Rallies to Push for Raise for Workers, Assistants at UA, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, April 8, 2018.
- National Union Calls on UA System, Officials to Raise Minimum Wage, Arkansas Traveler, April 7, 2018.
- AFSCME Local 965 Calls For Higher Wages at UA, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, April 7, 2018.
- Employee Union Rallies for Living Wages at U of A, KHBS-TV/KHOG-TV, April 7, 2018.
- Union Launches Living Wage Campaign, KUAF-FM, April 6, 2018.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Local 965 supports universal rights.
- “Local Experts Say Abortion Law Makes Pregnancy Riskier,” Axios NW Arkansas, Sept. 8, 2022
- University of Arkansas Labor Union Discusses Impact of Roe v. Wade Decision, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, Sept. 6, 2022
- UA Chancellor: Keep Name on Fulbright College: But Steinmetz Favors Moving Statue to Different Location, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, May 28, 2021
- UA Faculty Urges Steps on Gender Affirmation: Resolution Lists 8 Proposed Measures, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, May 6, 2021
- UA Panel Tasked with Decision on Fulbright Statue: Trustees Would Have Final Say, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Aug. 7, 2020
- UA Union Calls for Renaming Brough Commons on Fayetteville Campus for Wiley Branton Sr. Who was Brough? Read On, Arkansas Times, July 3, 2020
In addition to lobbying for living wages, UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965 has been assisting the University’s fight against food insecurity.
- U of A Food Pantry Struggles to Make It through Covid-19 Pandemic, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, April 2, 2020; remarks by Local President Bret Schulte
Weapons on Campus
UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965 has been at the forefront of efforts to prohibit guns on campus and ensure that the University of Arkansas employees work in safe environments.
- Guns-On-Campus Information Session Addresses Safety Concerns, Arkansas Traveler, Aug. 22, 2017
- Local Union to Hold Informational Session on New Concealed Carry Laws, Aug. 14, 2017, U of A Arkansas News
Members of 965 in the News
While the Local applauds all accomplishments of its members, the articles linked here concern the goals and focuses of the union.
- William Fulbright, the Southern Manifesto and the Path to the Central High Crisis, article by Vice President Mike Pierce, Arkansas Times, June 9, 2021
- ‘Nelson Hackett Project’ Joins National Parks’ Underground Railroad Program, U of A Arkansas News, May 10, 2021
- Civil rights leader the Rev. Dr. William Barber quoted with attribution the labor-race research of our Vice President Mike Pierce, associate professor of history, in a keynote address on March 14, 2021, the closing day of the 2021 NEA Leadership Summit. The video is set to begin shortly before Barber’s remarks. He turns to Mike’s research about 31:55 and names him about 32:30.
- Legacy of Liberty: Nelson Hackett Project More Than One Slave’s Story, interview with Vice President Mike Pierce on his public history project, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Feb. 14, 2021
- America’s First Concert in Months Rocks an Arkansas Stage, article by Local President Bret Schulte, The New York Times, May 18, 2020
- The Future of Unions Is White-Collar, article by Local President Bret Schulte, Slate, April 12, 2019
- Pandemics and Plagues in a Historical Context, interview with member Tricia Starks, Ozarks at Large, KUAF-FM, May 1, 2020
- The Racist Roots of Anti-unionism in Arkansas, article by Local Vice President Mike Pierce, Arkansas Times, Nov. 26, 2019
- Right to Work: The Dark Forces that Made Arkansas a Pioneer in Anti-union Law, quoting Local Vice President Mike Pierce, Arkansas Times, Jan. 12, 2017 (may be blocked by paywall)