Advantages of Membership
The Arkansas Education Association / National Education Association offers numerous professional benefits to members.
- AEA is the largest, oldest and most powerful education association in Arkansas.
- AEA is the only education association advocating at the state legislature for public-education priorities and employees.
- AEA advocates for academic freedom and fights to protect faculty tenure.
- AEA advocates for wages and benefits for faculty and education service professionals (ESPs), including administrative staff, custodians, bus drivers and nurses.
- AEA provides professional representation to members who face workplace issues. The NEA calls its union mediators UniServ. AEA places UniServ reps regionally. Ours is conveniently based in Springdale.
Your Local 965 offers its members a stronger voice in university matters. Its affiliation with AEA/NEA gives us a prominent voice in Little Rock, especially regarding legislation and regulation. By joining AEA/NEA your dues ensure that faculty and staff at the University of Arkansas are represented at the state capitol. Together with our advocacy work in Fayetteville, these efforts are vital in the fight to protect academic freedom, tenure, workplace safety, retirement and health benefits, and a living wage for all employees. NEA of course lobbies for similar progress on these issues nationally.
Of personal benefit are AEA Products and Services as well as NEA Member Benefits, which offer third-party programs and services, special agreements and exclusive deals. These include arrangements for financial planning; health, homeowners and auto insurance; shopping and travel discounts; and banking services. These include:
- New as of late 2021 is the NEA/Savi Student Debt Navigator, keyed in particular to loan forgiveness of federal student loans, but its staff of financial advisers assist union members one-on-one, in addition to digital features such as a payment calculator and strategies on all sorts of loans. See our discussion.
- The AEA Attorney Referral Program provides two free consultation sessions of up to 30 minutes in any core area — except tax concerns — and discounted attorney fees thereafter with participating attorneys. The link lists participating law firms in the state.
- AEA Federal Credit Union services and accounts, as well as personal financial planning are available free to AEA members.
- AEA membership means discounts on office supplies and electronics.
Ready to sign up?
Membership Application Options
- AEA runs the online membership form for electronic funds transfer (bank draft)
- Or register for credit card member invoicing with the NEA