This page will update occasionally.
If we missed a story, please let us know details so we can add it.
A few reports may be inaccessible to some due to paywalls etc.
If a web address here becomes broken, let us know about that, too.
The focus is labor-related info and analysis.
Since the beginning of the novel coronavirus 2019 pandemic, UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965 members have been advocating on behalf of the safety of all University of Arkansas workers.
- Covid-19 Allowed as Housing Claim, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 7, 2020, reports freshmen concerned about the virus may be exempted from living on campus
- Union Airs Concerns over UA Reopening Plan, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 3, 2020, on Local 965’s critique of campus Covid-19 strategy
- Local Employee Group Questions Reopening Plan, University Responds, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, June 2, 2020; remarks by Local President Bret Schulte
- Staff Senators Reject Work Resolution, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, May 24, 2020; resolution introduced by Local Secretary Ben Pollock
- University of Arkansas Administrators Still Discussing Reopening Plan for Fall Semester, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, May 20, 2020; remarks by Local President Bret Schulte
- Faculty Supports ‘Choice’ on Classes – UA Group Votes on Fall Resolution, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, April 30, 2020; resolution introduced by Local President Bret Schulte
UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965’s highest priority before the pandemic was to convince the University of Arkansas to paying living wages — at least $30,000/year — to each member of the faculty and staff.
- UA Plans to Seek State’s Consent on Pay Raises for 585 Employees, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, July 22, 2020
- Union Gets Commitment for Living Wage at University of Arkansas, NEA Today, July 17, 2020
- A Living Wage: UA Priorities on the Wrong Path, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Nov. 14, 2019 (opinion piece by Local Vice President Michael Pierce).
- A Living Wage: State Workers Deserve a Raise, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Feb. 4, 2019 (opinion pierce by Local Vice President Michael Pierce).
- Union Rallies to Push for Raise for Workers, Assistants at UA, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, April 8, 2018.
- National Union Calls on UA System, Officials to Raise Minimum Wage, Arkansas Traveler, April 7, 2018.
- AFSCME Local 965 Calls For Higher Wages at UA, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, April 7, 2018.
- Employee Union Rallies for Living Wages at U of A, KHBS-TV/KHOG-TV, April 7, 2018.
- Union Launches Living Wage Campaign, KUAF-FM, April 6, 2018.
- UA Union Reports Its Affiliation to Change, Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Nov. 24, 2019
In addition to lobbying for living wages, UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965 has been assisting the University’s fight against food insecurity.
- U of A Food Pantry Struggles to Make It through Covid-19 Pandemic, KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV, April 2, 2020; remarks by Local President Bret Schulte
UA-Fayetteville Education Association/Local 965 has been at the forefront of efforts to prohibit guns on campus and ensure that the University of Arkansas employees work in safe environments.
- Guns-On-Campus Information Session Addresses Safety Concerns, Arkansas Traveler, Aug. 22, 2017
- Local Union to Hold Informational Session on New Concealed Carry Laws, Aug. 14, 2017, U of A NewsWire
Members of 965 in the News
- America’s First Concert in Months Rocks an Arkansas Stage, article by Local President Bret Schulte, The New York Times, May 18, 2020
- The Future of Unions Is White-Collar, article by Local President Bret Schulte, Slate, April 12, 2019
- Pandemics and Plagues in a Historical Context, interview with member Tricia Starks, Ozarks at Large, KUAF-FM, May 1, 2020
- The Racist Roots of Anti-unionism in Arkansas, article by Local Vice President Mike Pierce, Arkansas Times, Nov. 26, 2019
- Right to Work: The Dark Forces that Made Arkansas a Pioneer in Anti-union Law, quoting Local Vice President Mike Pierce, Arkansas Times, Jan. 12, 2017 (may be blocked by paywall)